​​Homecare Services    

Telephone: 01323 406555
Email: homecare@ageconcerneastbourne.co.uk

Adult Social Care

The Care Act 2014 now entitles anyone in need of care to an assessment. It is your right to ask the social services department of your local authority for an assessment to see what practical support they may be able to offer or that they recommend you put in place.

A member of staff from Adult Social Care will talk to you about your health, what support you currently have and the things that are important to you with regards to how you live your life. When you get assessed by the local authority, as a minimum you should expect to be given information and signposting to other services, and ways that you might find funding to pay for them. However, if your needs meet the national eligibility criteria, your local authority will have to meet these needs. 

Local authorities must consider whether the person’s needs: 

Are because of a physical or mental impairment or illness
Cause them to be unable to achieve two or more specified outcomes
As a result of being unable to meet these outcomes, there is likely to be a significant impact on the adult’s wellbeing

An adult’s needs are only eligible where they meet all three of these conditions.

The specified outcomes measured include:

Managing and maintaining nutrition
Maintaining personal hygiene
Managing toilet needs
Being able to dress appropriately
Being able to move around the home safely, including accessing the home from outside
Keeping the home sufficiently clean and safe
Being able to develop and maintain family or other personal relationships, in order to avoid loneliness or isolation
Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering, including physical access
Being able to safely use necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport and recreational facilities or services
Carrying out any caring responsibilities, such as for a child

Local authorities do not have responsibility for providing NHS services such as patient transport, but they should consider needs for support when the adult is attending healthcare appointments.

The local authority must give you a copy of your needs assessment or carer’s assessment.

Copyright © Age Concern Eastbourne. All rights reserved.